The Importance of Technology and Education
In recent years, dental technology has become highly evolved and great strides have been made in achieving patient comfort. Today, you'll find that you'll spend less time in our ergonomically designed treatment chair. During most procedures, you may even enjoy a movie or relaxation tape on the flat panel monitor attached to the chair.
Here are just a few of the advances in technology you'll find in our practice:
- Digital x-rays expose you to 80% less radiation than traditional x-rays and allow both doctor and patient to view x-rays immediately on the monitor.
- VELscope System uses blue spectrum lighting to screen for oral cancer. The VELscope® Oral Assessment System centers on a handheld scope that we use to screen for oral tissue abnormalities, including cancer. Unlike other adjunctive devices used for oral screening, the VELscope® does not require any dyes or prolonged testing procedures. In fact, a VELscope® exam is performed in our office during a routine hygiene exam (and under normal lighting conditions) in about two minutes. VELscope® technology is changing the way oral cancer screenings take place. The VELscope® handheld device emits a harmless, bright blue light which is used to inspect the mouth and tongue. The device is extremely sensitive to abnormal tissue changes and the distinctive blue-spectrum light causes the soft tissues of the mouth to naturally fluoresce. Healthy tissues fluoresce in distinct patterns that are visibly disrupted by trauma or disease, such as neoplastic lesions, and fungal, viral or bacterial infections. We use the VELscope® device to supplement the traditional intra and extra oral head and neck exam (called the comprehensive oral exam or "COE"), and we use of this device to help identify potential cancerous or pre-cancerous tissues that cannot be identified with the naked eye. According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, the high death rate associated with oral cancer (52% mortality within five years) is due to the cancer being discovered late in its development when it has already metastasized to other parts of the body. Adding an adjunctive device to the normal head and neck examination protocol allows the added benefit of seeing what the unaided eyes cannot. Exams are more thorough and any suspicions can be quickly investigated for confirmation of oral disease.
- Laser florescence caries detection reveals tooth decay at its earliest stages, without x-ray radiation, when it is most easily and cost effectively treatable.
- Intra-oral photography lets us use a tiny camera inside your mouth to deliver enlarged images to the screen in your treatment chair so you can see for yourself where tooth surface problems are developing.
- VibraJect blocks pain from injections based on the Gate Control Theory. The high frequency vibration of the needle blocks the transmission of pain feelings so the patient is more comfortable.
- Smile Whitening allows you to have whiter teeth with minimal time at our office.
- The Caesy Education System
Our patients deserve to access the best information on preventive, restorative, and cosmetic treatment options. This multi-media education system is available in our office to help you learn what you need to know about treatment options and reduce anxiety levels about intended procedures. The Caesy system runs a digital movie describing why a dental ailment occurred, how it may have developed, and what can be done to treat it. The procedures involved are described in clear terms with animated pictures. Some procedures and ailments included are: porcelain veneers, root canals, implants, periodontal disease, crowns and bridges, as well as numerous others.