Wondering if a dental implant is the right way to replace your missing tooth?
Tooth loss can happen to the best of us. From untreated tooth decay to injuries, there are a myriad of ways we could lose a tooth. And with over 178 million Americans suffering from at least one missing tooth, this is a surprisingly common problem. However, with the host of benefits that smiling affords us, it seems a shame when we can’t partake. This is why our Montclair, NJ, implant restoration dentist Dr. Paul Dionne often recommends dental implants to his healthy patients battling tooth loss.
About Dental Implants
A dental implant is made up of a small screw or cylindrical post and an artificial tooth (often referred to as a crown). Dental implants are used to replace one or several missing teeth.
The Dental Implant Procedure
First, the small screw is carefully embedded into the jawbone and then given time to heal. During those healing months, the jawbone and the surrounding gums will begin to grow and fuse around the implant, making it a permanent structure within your mouth. Since the implant becomes a part of your jawbone, it makes dental implants different from dentures or even dental bridges.
Once the implant and jawbone have fused together, a dental crown is made to be cemented into place on top of the implant. The look and color of the crown will be matched to your smile before it is made.
The Dental Implant Benefits
Just from reading this alone, you can probably recognize the number of benefits that getting dental implants can offer you; however, here are only some of the biggest benefits,
- With the proper care, dental implants are designed to last a lifetime.
- Chewing and speaking are fully restored
- Your implant is a permanent part of the jawbone, so you never have to worry about it shifting or moving around in your mouth
- It will fill gaps in your smile to prevent your natural teeth from drifting into these gaps
- Your face will retain its full, natural shape
- Having a full smile again will boost your self-confidence
- No special care is needed, just make sure that you are keeping them thoroughly and pristinely brushed and flossed
Once you have your dental implant, you’ll want a dentist that can continue to keep the implant restoration (aka: the crown) looking its best. Whether it cracks or simply needs to be replaced over the years, our Montclair, NJ, dentist does exactly that! To maintain your implant, stick with Dr. Dionne, a NJ Top Dentist.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Dionne, simply call Glen Ridge Dental Arts at (973) 748-7790.